Saturday, September 22, 2007

Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella: A Classic Fave


We meet again.....still on the theme of "cooking without cooking," I suppose, but with a little twist. I wanted to ease my way into some more challenging recipes/ideas on here because, let's get serious, you can't go from throwing a bunch of beans into a bowl to "flambe!" Anyhow, the dish I plan on sharing today is not only one of my favorites, but it really seems to be a crowd pleaser all around.

I decided to share with you guys a recipe which I create with a little "give and take" in my own kitchen. It is none other than the famous, Italian style "Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella." Now, there are many ways to create this dish, but I am partial to one of my favorite recipes extroadinarily prepared by the adorable, Aussie Take Home Chef, Curtis.

Before I display this de-lish recipe I must just comment on how hilarious the show Take Home Chef is. I don't know how many people are familiar with this particular show, but even if you are not incredibly into cooking, the show is worth viewing merely based on how adorable Curtis is. You gotta love how he (being the gorgeous and charming Oz that he is) goes into the most "hoity-toity" market in L.A., picks up the hottest "chick" he can find (who, mind you, usually has NO IDEA what she's doing in the kitchen...and is a complete 'gold-digger'), only to lividly piss off and scare the shit out of the tired, hard-working husband when he returns home from work to see his home full of a camera crew and his now decked out wife canoodling with adorable Curtis. Exhibit A:






....phew....I'd be raging if I were that husband, too! Well, I digress....now for the scrumptuous recipe:

Salad of Heirloom Tomatoes and Mozzarella
Serves 4


Ingredients:
6 ripe heirloom tomatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds/1.1 kg total), coarsely cubed
2 tablespoons/30 ml aged balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup/10 g torn fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons/30 ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces/350 g fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish

Method:Gently toss the tomatoes in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon/15 ml of vinegar. Add the torn basil leaves and 1 tablespoon/15 ml of extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss again.Mound the tomato mixture in the center of four plates, dividing equally. Tear the mozzarella cheese into small chunks and place them over the tomato mixture, dividing equally. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon/15 ml of extra virgin olive oil.Sprinkle the salads with salt and pepper. Garnish the salads with the basil sprigs. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon/15 ml of vinegar around the salads and serve.

As I mentioned before, this recipe has plenty of "lee-way" in regards to following exact measurements and/or adding more of what you love. How can you go wrong with fresh mozzarella, anyway???

The only drawback to the dish is that you really want all of the ingredients to be FRESH (especially those tomatoes and mozzarella which can either make or break the "freshness" quality of this dish). In turn, it can be kind of costly for a mere "side." However, it's well worth the money and it is a healthier alternative to, let's say, a fried side dish or heavy potatoes.

I say, do it up! Anddddd, ENJOY! Let me know how it goes if you decide on whipping this one up....it's super easy...lot's of chopping, that's all....DE-LISHHHHH!

Mangia!

4 comments:

Dee said...

I'm such a picky eater! Mozzarella & Basil only please!
I'll pass the tomatoes onto you Robyn = )

Robin said...

why thankyou...i'll gladly receive them!

Bianca the Food Guru said...

Wow, Mozzarella, tomato and basil is one of my absolute favorite combos. That salad would totally go great on a panini

TK said...

Thanks for that recepie! I lOVE Mozzarella, tomato and Basil!!

BTW great blog! Love it!