Sunday, October 7, 2007

Roasted Carrots


My apologies, yet again, for last week's brief interjection on that "cupcake splurge!" I think we need to return to some easier and healthier concoctions! So, I have decided to share my incredibly simple and always satisfying recipe with none other than carrots. I was, ultimately inspired to share this recipe because I feel that even if you don't "have a thing" for carrots, you will be surprisingly smitten over this dish. Plus, it's a pretty inexpensive way to eat healthy and not be staring in envy at your neighbors gargantuous plate of french fries.

I was inspired to create this recipe based off of my own personal desire to ingest some of the loving goodness of their immense health value. I was, personally, never a fan of munching on raw carrots until recently, so I thought, "Let's come up with a way to MAKE them taste good!" I immediately thought of good 'ol suppers at my best friend Jax's house and her father's (Sir Pappy) wise words of wisdom regarding vegetables: When in doubt, OVERCOOK a vegetable!!! That's a surefire way to make them tasty. (This is, of course, in regards to roasting/grilling)...

Anyway, I thought, "Thanks, Pap" and pertained that little cooking rule in regards to my little "carrot rendezvous!" I, then, thought of a way to spice up the recipe even more by incorporating one of my favorite fresh herbs, dill. Dill always reminds me of eating my grandmother's fantastic chicken soup while growing up. Plus, it emits this incredibly potent and savory flavor when incorporated to a meal.

So, here is my very own recipe for Dill Roasted Carrots:

Dill Roasted Carrots
1 large bag of carrots
1/2 cup fresh dill
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
fresh ground pepper

Method: Preheat the oven to 450 F. Peel and rinse each carrot. Cut each carrot into thirds. Disperse the carrots onto a baking tray. Rinse and chop the dill- sprinkle it on top of the carrots. Grind enough fresh pepper on top of the carrots until visibly coated (or add extra if you are as keen on 'zest' as I am!). Drizzle enough extra virgin olive oil to evenly coat the carrots (so as not to douse them, while adding enough to create a 'sheen'). Using your hands (washed of course) rub the oil, dill, and pepper into the carrots and place on the middle rack of your oven. Cook approximately 60 minutes or until VERY browned/blackened.

Remember, when in doubt, OVERCOOK those veggies- the crisp factor will never cease to disappoint!

This recipe is SO easy and SO de-lish that even kids would enjoy it. There's something about roasting carrots that creates a sweetness that is, quite frankly, delightful.

Plus, you get a great source of beta-carotene- Hey-o!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy it!


3 comments:

Bianca the Food Guru said...

Wow..those carrots look awesome. Are there any other vegetables you would suggest using this recipe with?

Robin said...

You can re-create this recipe using just about any vegetable. However, if I'm going to recommend trying something else from personal experience...using broccoli/cauliflower was a big hit!
I'd also imagine that sweet potatoes (diced) would be awesome since the carrots end up giving off a sweet flavor...

Good luck!

Dee said...

I know potatoes are starchy and not really healthy. .but I'm totally a potato girl, growing up with an Irish family.

I've recently started adding carrots to my roasted veggies recipe, and this is perfect.

Carrots, squash, cauliflower, potatoes and broccoli! In the words of Rachel Ray. . .Yum-o!

Thanks for another great one Robin!